Today is Clean Off Your Desk Day! It is time to clean off your desk and get productive for 2018! This day is an opportunity to begin your new year with a clean and organized workspace, and maybe buy some cute desk accessories that are great to look at and will help your space stay clean. Check out my top items below!
Why does a clean desk even matter?
First you may be wondering why even spend the time and bother cleaning up this space? Whether your desk is in a private, a cubicle, or in your home, an uncluttered, organized, and clean will help you work more efficiently and give you a sense of peace when you sit down to work. Also, consider these reasons:
- Distraction – A cluttered desk is filled with potential distractions. From file folders, random papers, and sticky notes, there one million distractions available to take your mind off what you want to focus on.
- Reputation – Having a clean desk is a reflection of your habits. It will show you as efficient, organized, and prepared to take on newer or bigger projects.
- Space – A clean space allows you to have the room to work! Even with all the technology we use everyday, there are still physical items you will need to use. The ability to spread them out and reference them easily is so useful.
Top 5 Tips for Cleaning Off Your Desk
1. Clean off your desk top space. Whatever sits on top of your desk needs to be there for a reason. Think about only keeping items you use on a daily basis here.
2. Keep things in reach. This means in drawers or on your desk in specific containers. There is nothing worse than not being able to find a pen or pencil when you are on the phone with someone trying to take down information.
3. Use your drawers and cupboards. Store all of your non-daily supplies and current projects in drawers or cupboards. This allows easy access but keeps your desktop clutter free.
4. Create your system. Take this time to organize but also to develop a system that works for you. Label all your files and store them upright for easy access and better use of space. I also recommend always having blank folders on hand so you can keep your system going.
5. Schedule a regular clean out. Clean out your drawers and cupboards at least once a year. Get rid of those old files you don’t need, but make sure you shred anything that contains information you wouldn’t want getting into the wrong hands. Through out other things you have been accumulating and never use (like those pens from hotels and your dentist).
Those are my top 5 tips to cleaning up and organizing your desk space. I hope you all get a inspired by #cleanyourdeskday and do a little organizing this week. It will make you feel even better to start the year fresh and get productive!